Human Resource Planning which is the same as manpower planning entails putting right number of people, right kind of people at the right place, at the right time, and doing the right things for which they are suited for the achievement of goals of the organization or business to which they belong to.
The aim is always to have a more adequate team, suited to the needs of the business. Human resource planning is carried out in a set procedure. The procedure is as follows:
- Analyzing the current manpower inventory- The current manpower status has to be analyzed before a manager makes forecast of future manpower. This will help determine what kind of upgrade is needed. For this the following have to be noted- Type of organization, number of departments, number and quantity of such departments and employees in these work units.
Registering these guides the subsequent processes.
- Making future manpower forecasts- Planning for the future manpower requirements becomes a whole lot easier once the factors affecting the future manpower forecasts are known.
- Developing employment programs- Haven compared current inventory with future forecasts, the employment programs can be framed and developed accordingly, which will include recruitment, selection procedures and placement plans for employees.
- Design training programs- Training programs depend upon the extent of improvement in technology and advancement to take place. It is also done to improve upon the skills, capabilities, knowledge of the workers.
Importance of Manpower Planning
Manpower planning is of huge importance in businesses. Some of its importance include –
- Managerial functions key: All four managerial functions, i.e., planning, organizing, directing and controlling are based upon the manpower. Human resources help in the implementation of all these managerial activities. Therefore, manpower planning is a key to all managerial functions in a business.
- Employee motivation- Manpower planning not only includes putting right men on right job, but it also comprises of motivational programs, such as incentive plans to be framed for further participation and employment of employees in a concern. Therefore incentive plans are all part of human resource planning.
- Better human relations- Maintaining good human relations is pivotal to the success of any business. Human relations become strong through effective control, clear communication, effective supervision and leadership. Staffing function also looks after training and development of the work force which leads to co-operation and better human relations at workplace.
- Efficient utilization- Efficient management of personnel becomes an important function in the industrialization world of today. Setting of large scale enterprises require management of large scale manpower. It can be effectively done through staffing function.
- Increased productivity – There is an increase in productivity level when resources are utilized in best possible manner. Higher productivity is a function of minimum wastage of time, money, efforts and energies which comes with manpower planning.